Bursaries and Scholarships
Victorian Teachers Bursary Fund
This Victorian Teachers Bursary Fund was established by SMTC in 2021 following a generous seed donation from Peninsula Montessori Parents Association.
The Fund aims to make AMI Diploma training more accessible to current and future Victorian primary teachers by awarding bursaries for SMTC’s AMI Diplomas in the 3-6 and 6-12 age-levels.
Victorian Teachers Bursaries of between $3,000-5,000 are offered for each upcoming AMI Montessori 3-6 Diploma and AMI Montessori 6-12 Diploma. The Bursary must be applied towards the SMTC course tuition fees for the relevant AMI Diploma of the recipient student.
To be eligible to be considered to receive an SMTC Victorian Teachers Bursary, an applicant must be:
1. an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident;
2. able to demonstrate that the financial assistance will significantly assist their ability to
undertake and complete the course;
3. in a position to complete the course by its scheduled end date; and
4. able to demonstrate commitment to working as a teacher in a Victorian primary school in the 3-6 or 6-12 age levels.
Applicants may have been awarded a previous SMTC bursary (but not for an AMI Diploma in the same age-level) and may be a previous SMTC bursary applicant.
Bursary applicants must provide each of the following in support of their application:
1. applicants must have applied to SMTC to study the relevant AMI Diploma (and paid their first instalment of $500) prior to submitting their Bursary Application**;
2. a completed SMTC Bursary Application Form;
3. a colour copy of their Medicare card AND a colour copy of one of the following:
a. Australian passport;
b. Australian birth certificate;
c. Australian citizenship confirmation; or
d. Australian permanent residency confirmation;
4. a short personal statement explaining:
a. how financial assistance will significantly assist the applicant’s ability to undertake and
complete the course; and
b. the applicant’s commitment to Montessori teaching in a Victorian primary school
5. at least one of the following documents:
a. if working in a Victorian Montessori School or stream, a letter from the applicant’s
employer confirming the applicant’s employment terms
(e.g. fixed contract, permanent employee, role details);
b. confirmation of any work experience placements or observation experience in a
c. a letter from the applicant’s employer in support of the study; and/or
d. other documentation in support of the applicant’s commitment to teaching in a
Montessori environment in Victoria.
SMTC may request additional information at its discretion including (but not limited to) financial information to assist in the assessment of the application. SMTC also reserves the right to require verification or certification of original documents as a condition of the award.
**Unsuccessful scholarship applicants may consider seeking a refund of all or part of this $500 instalment if eligible on compassionate grounds per our Fees, Cancellation and Refund Policy.
Other conditions of Bursary
1. The Bursary award will be applied to reduce the last instalment payments of SMTC course fees due for the student’s course if the student’s course fees are being paid by instalment.
2. The Bursary will be terminated if the recipient:
· withdraws from the course;
· defers without prior approval;
· does not maintain satisfactory academic performance during the course;
· is determined by SMTC, acting reasonably, to be guilty of serious misconduct, including,
but not limited to, having provided false or misleading information as part of their
scholarship or course application; or
· does not resume study at the end of a period of approved leave.
Once the Bursary has been terminated, it will not be reinstated unless due to SMTC error.
3. Where a student is found guilty of serious misconduct or withdraws from the relevant course, SMTC will require that any Bursary funds applied towards the course fees of the Bursary recipient be reimbursed to SMTC in full by the student except where the student, the Director of Training and SMTC identify an alternative approach for the student to complete the course (e.g transfer to another SMTC course in the same age-level). If relevant to the student’s circumstances, the student may apply to SMTC for relief on compassionate grounds as outlined in our Fees, Cancellation and Refund policy.
1. Check eligibility.
2. Complete SMTC Bursary Application Form.
3. Provide electronic copies of all required documentation.
4. Submit the application by email with scanned document attachments to SMTC’s Training Centre Manager via [email protected].
Applications for bursaries for upcoming SMTC AMI Montessori 3-6 and 6-12 Diplomas commencing in 2024 is Monday 29 January 2023.
All applicants will be notified via email of the outcome of their application.
For all enquiries about the Victorian Teachers Bursary, please email SMTC’s Training Centre Team via [email protected] or on 0451 309 620.