Employment with SMTC
Montessori Course Assistant 6-12 Diploma Summer 2021-2022
Sydney Montessori Training Centre seeks a Montessori Course Assistant to support our AMI 6 -12 Director of Training this summer for the upcoming AMI 6-12 Diploma, commencing on 29 November 2021.
The employment is full-time on a casual basis, initially for a period of 8 weeks, with the possibility of extension for other course modules during 2022, 2023 and 2024. SMTC will also consider a 0.8 full time equivalent if requested by the candidate.
The course will be held in person at SMTC’s Rozelle training centre with “live” online engagement by students who cannot attend due to border closures or other COVID-19 related reasons.
The Course Assistant role suits an AMI 0-3, 3-6 or 6-12 Diploma holder with an interest in contributing to the future of Montessori teacher training in Australia. While not a requirement, this position would be a valuable opportunity for those considering entering the AMI Training of Trainers program.
The tasks undertaken by the Course Assistant during the first summer module include, but are not limited to:
· Assist with setting up the 6-12 Course Prepared Environment, as required by the Director of Training (DoT)
· Procurement of classroom items
· Work with and monitor online students to provide video meeting set up and trouble-shooting, related communication with online students
· Monitoring and implementing day to day COVID-19 related measures within SMTC’s existing frameworks
· Assist the DoT as needed during lectures by gathering and setting up materials (such as experiments), removing items after presented, clearing up messy items (volcano, experiments, etc.)
· Assist the DoT as needed during supervised practice sessions – eg, assist students with questions, take attendance, replenish supplies, supervise Care of the Environment.
· Assist students with administrative issues or requests by ensuring they are put in contact with the appropriate staff member as required
· Maintain course records including daily lecture sheets, student attendance, album assignments and reports and student handouts
· Maintain the prepared environment: organise students to clean, check materials and replenish supplies; complete these tasks when the course is not in session
· Monitor, manage and record student assignments via SMTC’s learning management system
· Manage all album submissions and album-reading, including contacting album readers; creating and distributing assignment sheets; processing and distributing student work; support for album readers as required
· Assist with material-making and preparation as requested by DoT
· Purchase books, materials and consumables for the course as required
· Maintain a supportive and congenial training atmosphere and assist individual students as directed by the DoT
· Co-ordinating closely with the Training Centre Manager and Director of Training in all relevant matters; meet regularly (daily, weekly or fortnightly, as needed) with the Director of Training to assess current Course requirements
Interested candidates should contact SMTC Training Centre Manager Alison Birdsall via [email protected] for a confidential discussion.
More information about the course is available here: AMI Montessori 6-12 Diploma | Sydney Montessori Training Centre
Please provide a CV and cover letter addressing the above aspects of the role by 25 October 2021.